Second Eye Photography

English Topic :D

« Older   Newer »
usy
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 12:46

CITAZIONE (†InLovingMemory† @ 11/7/2010, 13:28)
thanks usy for your explanation!
(some of the errors that i made were because i wrote too fast on the keyboard like books or it's XD omg also feel.. wtf?? i wrote fell like i fell down of the chair hahaha)

About the flu.. i wrote it for saying like i'm getting sick, the idiom was "i'm feeling under the weather" not i'm taking the flu XD

i'm happy that you think i speak well english, but my biggest problem is my pronunciation... i'm really bad at it ç__ç
But i think that i should live there in order to improve my english XD

How long have you been living there??

About the book i want to start to read something in english, but not very complicated ... any advice?

(usy please continue to correct me XD)

I know, I make lots of mistakes too when I type too fast, but above all, I make lots of mistakes when I speak! I get confused so easly!
I've been here for more than one year and a half now, but I've been working in Canada almost one year before. Pretty useless though, I was in Quebec (French Canada) and it didn't help me that much.

About the books, I suggest you to start with something simple that you've already read in Italian.
I wanted to read Harry Potter because I read these books plenty of times and I thought it would have been easier for me to understand, but eventually I just bought one of the cheapest books there were in that library and it's kind of funny.
It's called 'foursome' and it's about a crew of two couples (four best friends) which suddenly falls down under a series of circustamnces.

ps. I know you're not getting sick :D I was saying that there is an idiomatic expression within the explanation of feeling under the weather which sounds wrong to me: taking the flu. But again, I'm not sure =P

F i l l
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 12:52

>.< i think that this could be considerated like a common nonsense 'cause basicly we don't know our first language, after all could be considered as a way to improve our english, but probably we will get annoyed soon by this. But this doesn't mean that isn't a good idea, in fact i'm gonna enjoy :P

†InLovingMemory†
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 13:06

i saw in a library Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, i think that i'll buy that, probably it will be too simple but for start i thinks it's ok.

and what about movies?
i tried few time to see some english movies, but after ten minutes i must put on the subtitles XD
But i think that's a great training!!

Jimi Tux
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 13:11

This post is a very nice idea!

I don't know why but I like English more than Italian. I have various English books, I watch English movies, I read English blogs and so on. I still have a lot to learn though, especially about spoken English.

I'll jump on the idioms bandwagon:

I don't have a clue: it means "non ne ho idea"

To be flabbergasted: to be in a state of confusion or surpise (rimanere a bocca aperta)

Hit the nail on the head: it means "fare centro".

Jump the gun: to do something prematurely.

Long story short: it means "per farla breve".

I'll post other idioms soon. I have quite a few of them in my notebook.

Edited by Jimi Tux - 11/7/2010, 14:13

F i l l
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 13:12

Yup it's a great training, but I still prefer dubbed ones couse i cannot get some ironies...

usy
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 13:29

CITAZIONE (†InLovingMemory† @ 11/7/2010, 14:06)
i saw in a library Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, i think that i'll buy that, probably it will be too simple but for start i thinks it's ok.

and what about movies?
i tried few time to see some english movies, but after ten minutes i must put on the subtitles XD
But i think that's a great training!!

I ALWAYS put the subtitles on (english subtitles), otherwise I get distracted easily and bored even more.

CITAZIONE (Jimi Tux @ 11/7/2010, 14:11)
This post is a very nice idea!

I don't know why but I like English more than Italian. I have various English books, I watch English movies, I read English blogs and so on. I still have a lot to learn though, especially about spoken English.

I'll jump on the idioms bandwagon:

I don't have a clue: it means "non ne ho idea"

To be flabbergasted: to be in a state of confusion or surpise (rimanere a bocca aperta)

Hit the nail on the head: it means "fare centro".

Jump the gun: to do something prematurely.

Long story short: it means "per farla breve".

I'll post other idioms soon. I have quite a few of them in my notebook.

Thanks! I didn't know most of them!
But let me clarify something about the expression I don't have a clue (wich I've always heard as I have no clue): it means "non ne ho idea" but you might use it only if you're being asked for something that you don't know but someone else may know.

For example:

What time is the match tonight?
I have no clue.

What do you want for dinner?
I have no idea. <---here you can not use 'clue' because you're talking about something that doesn't need any clue (=indizio, spunto) in order to be figured out.

CITAZIONE (F i l l @ 11/7/2010, 14:12)
Yup it's a great training, but I still prefer dubbed ones couse i cannot get some ironies...

You should prefer the English ones just right for the same reason! When a movie is translated and redubbed it loses lots of inside jokes :(

F i l l
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 13:35

Yep i know but I dunno a lot of idioms so i cannot get 'em

Jimi Tux
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 14:24

QUOTE (F i l l @ 11/7/2010, 14:35)

Well, if you are willing to learn, you gotta start somewhere, don't you?

QUOTE (usy @ 11/7/2010, 14:29)
Thanks! I didn't know most of them!
But let me clarify something about the expression I don't have a clue (wich I've always heard as I have no clue): it means "non ne ho idea" but you might use it only if you're being asked for something that you don't know but someone else may know.

For example:

What time is the match tonight?
I have no clue.

What do you want for dinner?
I have no idea. <---here you can not use 'clue' because you're talking about something that doesn't need any clue (=indizio, spunto) in order to be figured out.

Thanks for clarifying usy, I didn't know about that. I'm realizing there are a lot of these damn little nuances that can make a big difference depending on the context.

Speaking about movies I put subtitles on too (whenever is possible) so that I can quickly write down any idioms and words I don't know.

Recently I've discovered a fun and useful way to improve my English: watching stand up comedy shows. There is a cool site called iComedyTV wich has lots of great shows of famous comedians; most of them are not difficult to understand, even without subtitles. (By the way, some shows have a trascription at the bottom of the page)
Go watch some George Carlin or Bill Hicks shows (you can also find clips on YouTube), you won't regreat =)

Edited by Jimi Tux - 11/7/2010, 15:37

F i l l
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 14:34

CITAZIONE (Jimi Tux @ 11/7/2010, 15:24)
CITAZIONE (F i l l @ 11/7/2010, 14:35)

Well, if you are willing to learn, you gotta start somewhere, don't you?

You're right but films aren't the best start that you can have... Tv Shows and subtitled interviews are perfect to start, otherwise you have to study on books or follow any english project at school >.<

jox.
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 14:41

I love English! *_*
But I make a lot of mistakes >.> For example, "I make a lot of mistake" is correct? >.>

Anyway, I've read the whole Harry Potter saga in English, because italian books have a lot of mistakes! Maybe Salani used Google Translate! ._.
I learned some new phrases, as "beat around the bush" that means "girarci intorno -alla questione-"

I also watch movies and telefilm in English when I can, but with subtitles! :)
Now I'm watching Buffy, I almost finish the first season... and I can't often understand some words and phrases, it's full of american slang!

Mescaline
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 14:59

I'm not a big fan of the english language...
I mean,I have to speak english sometimes, and I have to read english magazines (it happens really often: almost all medical pubblications are in english,sigh!) but i'ts not really my favourite language.
I'd rather talk in spanish.
A nice way to practice is ,at least I believe so, to chat online.
I really enjoy chat roulette! Full of maniacs,of course, but you may also find some foreigners chatting in english to improve.
And in chat you have to think really fast (or they "next" you,lol),so it's quite helpful!
Also,they're learning just like you,so you don't have to be terrified to make the biggest error on planet earth!

†InLovingMemory†
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 15:22

CITAZIONE
But I make a lot of mistakes >.> For example, "I make a lot of mistake" is correct? >.>

yes, but probably is more correct "error" if you are talking about error about grammar or translation.. and mistake when you for example do something wrong... but that's a mine idea and maybe they are both correct!

uranus.
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 17:29

CITAZIONE (jox. @ 11/7/2010, 15:41)
Anyway, I've read the whole Harry Potter saga in English, because italian books have a lot of mistakes! Maybe Salani used Google Translate! ._.

HAHAHA!

CITAZIONE
A nice way to practice is ,at least I believe so, to chat online.

I use chat,too. It's very funny: you improve your English and you make new friends!

v i i*
view post Posted on 11/7/2010, 21:02

CITAZIONE (uranus. @ 11/7/2010, 18:29)
I use chat,too. It's very funny: you improve your English and you make new friends!

Wich chat do you use? If you want, can you send the link to me with a PM?

†InLovingMemory†
view post Posted on 12/7/2010, 00:45

also for me the link thanks, but not chatroulette... i don't like web cam chat

158 replies since 9/7/2010, 09:39   3566 views